Monday 2 April 2018

Loucas and Christoforou boomerang, Lygon Street, Brunswick


If you're heading north along Lygon Street and have just crossed Blyth Street, you might have noticed the Loucas and Christoforou boomerang sign on a now empty shop front. It's on the left hand side, just before you get to the Abruzzo Club - 367 Lygon Street, Brunswick.






Some not-very-good photos I took on 30 July 2012.

Disappointingly, the sign (and the shopfront) is covered in graffiti now and with developers moving in all over Brunswick East, I wonder how long this evocative echo of the suburb's past will survive.




Photo taken 1 February 2018. 


I've been trying to track down more details about the shop and about Loucas and Christoforou. I think they might have been Cypriots, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone reading this can set me right. They certainly embraced Aussie culture, choosing the iconic Aboriginal boomerang for their logo - hoping that their customers would always return to their shop, perhaps? Or suggesting that they should return!
What I have been able to discover is that 367 Lygon Street was once a neighbourhood grocery shop and from 1967 until at least 1980 it was run by Michael and Terry Christoforou, who had previously lived in Traralgon. 

I would love to know more about the shop, the people who owned it and the people who shopped there, so please get in touch if you can  help.





No comments:

Post a Comment