Friday 11 January 2019

Anyone for tennis?

As a keen tennis fan, I've already spent many hours this season watching my favourite sport on TV.

So imagine my delight when I came across a photo of Merlynston Tennis Club members playing mixed doubles at Merlynston in 1932 - 87 years ago.

Image courtesy Coburg Historical Society.


Some close-ups so you can see what the best dressed Merlynston players were wearing:






And in the background you can see the growing suburb and its railway station.


If you're interested in how Merlynston began, you might be interested in my earlier blog entry.

And just to show how popular tennis was, here's a photo from Coburg Historical Society's collection of the entire tennis club, taken in the 1930s. Looking at the photo, I somehow don't think they were all playing members!


And so you can get a better look at the faces, here is the same photo in three sections.




I'm just glad I didn't have to play with the racquets featured in the middle image!



No comments:

Post a Comment