Friday 10 January 2020

Nicholson Street, Brunswick East dairy and other art deco buildings

As I read this entry from Nick Gadd's Melbourne Circle project, I felt a jolt of recognition. Scribbled in small letters in the back of my 2019 diary (yes, I still use a paper diary) I've noted '136 or 138 Nicholson Street. Dairy or Milk Bar'. I was waiting for the 96 tram early one winter morning and passed the time looking along the buildings opposite the tram stop and there it was. The note stayed in the back of the diary. I meant to follow it up but life got in the way, as it tends to do ...

Nick's blog entry 'A deco dairy and stories on walls', 24 October 2014 gives me the answer - it's a milk bar, as you can see in this image from the blog.




The blog entry goes on to feature some other art deco buildings around Melbourne, including several in Brunswick

Here are a couple of photos of the Baby Health Centre in Lygon Street, East Brunswick that I took in July 2012.






Nick also mentions the Robur Tea advertising in Lygon Street. It's gone now, covered over in yet another development in an already over-developed area.



I wrote about this recently. You can see that entry here. You'll notice that this photo I took in February 2018 shows how faded the sign had become. It's not visible at all now. 







No comments:

Post a Comment