Friday 8 November 2019

Ferguson's Cake Shop, Coburg

From the Ruskin's All About Coburg, 1953.


Ferguson's Cake Shop was a go-to destination for my family in the 1960s. We didn't have far to go - we lived diagonally opposite. Regular buys were vanilla slices, apple slices, Boston buns and chocolate eclairs. Yummo. And all because my mother went to work at Myer in the city and no longer had time to bake. Oh yes, and my father had a very sweet tooth!

There was also a fish and chip shop just down Bell Street (same side of the road) somewhere near the railway line. Lots of kids from Coburg State School went there on Fridays to buy potato cakes and chips. This must have been in pre-decimal currency days because I'm pretty sure I was given sixpence to spend on lunch on those rare occasions when I didn't go home for lunch. (Lived right next to the school, so no excuse, really.)

Does anyone else have their own favourite memories of Fergusons? 






No comments:

Post a Comment