Friday 1 November 2019

Providing water, Fawkner, 1955






Hard to believe now, but in the middle 1950s, Fawkner residents were collecting water from a central point by bucket. Walking half a mile (0.8 kilometres) to get water to drink, to wash yourself or wash your clothes was quite a commitment. I like the ingenuity of the methods of getting buckets home - I can see a wheelbarrow, a billy cart (?) and a baby's pram here. 

Someone commented to me once that there's so little written on the history of Fawkner, so I've been trying extra hard to find material. It's not that easy, and I've relied mostly on newspaper reports, but of course the TROVE newspaper collection only goes to the middle 1950s, so after that it's a bit more difficult. 

So, if you've got any Fawkner-related material or memories of your own that you'd like to share, please let me know. (gcheryl52@gmail.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment