Sunday 17 November 2019

Sam Gandolfo's service station


At the moment everyone's very interested in the Gandolfo Gardens situation now that the Upfield Line's upgrade is getting closer to reality. You can read about that here

And I've already written about the Gandolfo Gardens and Sam Gandolfo in a previous post, which you can read here


From the Ruskin's 1953 All About Coburg

Today, though, I thought I'd feature Gandolfo's Service Station, corner Sussex and Gaffney Streets, Pascoe Vale. I'll bet there wasn't a roundabout there in those days. And I'll bet it wasn't the tricky intersection it is today.

Those of you who live in the area know that Shedden Street runs parallel to Gaffney Street, off Sussex Street. Street Names of Coburg states that it was named after A.P. Shedden, a Brunswick real estate agent who sold much of the land in Pascoe Vale.

This is quite a 'new' area of Moreland, with most building occurring after the end of World War Two. There's a terrific photograph of an unmade Shedden Street in 1948 in the Moreland Leader, 28 October 2019 issue, page 8. It's of a very wet and muddy street. Construction had started but had definitely not finished. I wouldn't want to try and drive my car down the street in that state!



1 comment:

  1. The real estate agent mentioned by cherylg was my grandfather, Hugh McKenzie Shedden (1877-1954). He was a son of William and Mary (nee McKenzie) who emigrated from Scotland circa 1860. Hugh was an entrepreneurial businessman in the Coburg-Brunswick area, who operated a Real Estate Agency in Sydney Road up until his death. I had not previously heard of the Shedden Service Station, but Hugh had fingers in many pies in that district!

    ReplyDelete